Kearny is a town in Pinal County, Arizona, United States. The town was named after General Stephen Watts Kearny, who passed through the area on November 7, 1846 while leading 100 dragoons to California. According to 2006 Census Bureau estimates, the population of the town is 2,765. The economic base of Kearny and nearby towns is the Ray mine and Hayden Smelter, both owned and operated by ASARCO
Kearny was built by the Kennecott Mining Company in 1958 as a planned community to accommodate the populations of nearby Ray, Sonora and Barcelona, which were about to be swallowed by Kennecott's expanding open-pit copper mine. While many of houses in the town were newly built, some mine employees had their homes moved down the road. Kearny was officially incorporated in 1959.
Kearny is located at
33°3′15″N 110°54′32″W / 33.05417°N 110.90889°W / 33.05417; -110.90889 (33.054160, -110.908857).[