About thirty miles east of Flagstaff, Arizona, is the historic ghost town of Two Guns. The area that would become Two Guns started as a site of major confrontation between the Navajos and the Apaches in the 19th century. In 1880 the land just to the south of Two Guns would become home to the town of Canyon Diablo, which would become a ghost town before Two Guns was even born.
The Old Sell Service Station at 2 Guns
In any case, Two Guns became one of many tourist stops along Route 66 with a gas station, over night accommodations, a cafe, and a souvenir shop for the many travelers of the Mother Road. Later a "zoo” was added to the popular tourist stop which included mountain lions, panthers, and bobcats. Their "cages" were huge kiln-like structures of brick, mortar and chicken wire, built along the rim and north wall of the canyon.